Thursday 28 August 2008

Hope... the best of things

Joni Eareckson Tada is someone I enjoy reading, ok so I may not go along with her theology on everything, but she has a definite insight into suffering. I thought I would share a quote from a little booklet recently published called 'Hope... the best of things', in which she writes about hoping in Christ amidst the trials of life. Here is one of her comments on Luke 9:23 'If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me':
My wheelchair is not my cross to bear. Neither is your cane or walker your cross. Neither is your dead-end job or your irksome in-laws. Your cross to bear is not your migraine headaches, not your sinus infection, not your stiff joints. That is not your cross to bear. My cross is not my wheelchair; it is my attitude. Your cross is your attitude about your dead-end job and your in-laws. It is your attitude about your aches and pains. Any complaints, and grumblings, any disputings or murmurings, any anxieties, any worries, any resentments or anything that hints of a raging torrent of bitterness - these are the things God calls me to die to daily.
Hope... the Best of Things, by Joni Eareckson-Tada, published by Crossway, £2.99
Lorna


No comments: