Wednesday 30 January 2008

Christian Behaviour by John Bunyan

Those that know me will know that I have a certain fascination with books on 'Child Training' - I am always tempted to buy them in, then they sit on my bedside table for months while I decide if they really are any good and if they are worth stocking. Having now read 'Christian Behaviour' by John Bunyan I realise that really all these books could be boiled down to a few pages - and John Bunyan does this perfectly. This small paperback (76pp) starts by expounding Titus 3:7,8
That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.
and, as you read further you realise how important this introductory section is. The 'ground rules' are laid down: Faith is all important. Bunyan then moves on to the specifics - the master of the family, parents, correction of children, masters to servants, duties of wives, duties of children to parents, servants to masters and neighbours to each other. He writes in typical puritan style with lots of subheadings and sub-subheadings but he is easy to follow and very practical in his applications. For only £2.95 (maybe the low price explains the poor cover design?), I really would recommend this as a useful addition to any bedside table!
Lorna

No comments: