Thursday 29 March 2007

Amazing Grace

It's the best film I've seen all year - but then again it's the only one. Wilberforce was rather more dashing than real life portraits suggest, and there was a hint of Bob Geldof about his dishevelled looks at times. Was this a deliberate ploy to link the two at a subliminal level? But they are poles apart in the motivations that drive them, although Wilber's evangelical Christianity is not given emphasis by this film. Sadly, John Newton is also poorly portrayed. This is best redressed by reading his 'Letters' (Banner of Truth paperback edition available, hardback due April) or better still, the original 'Cardiphonia' or 'Utterance of the Heart' as it is now rendered in the Gospel Mission edition.
The lesson is simple - see the film, and then read the books. You won't regret it.
Jeremy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see what you mean about the portrayal of John Newton. However I think the best line of the film came from his mouth;

"Although my memory is fading, I remember two things clearly, that I am a great sinner and Christ is a great saviour"

Wouldn't it be great to see a film on the big screen about the life of John Newton? Since that has not yet happened, perhaps folks should purchase and read books from your shop re John Newton instead!

Anonymous said...

"Amazing Grace in the life of William Wilberforce."
Author: John Piper.

Hope you don't mind me reviewing this book here!

I wish I had read this book before I had seen the movie "Amazing Grace"! It is a little gem and took me just over an hour to read. This little book serves as a good introduction to the life and faith of William Wilberforce.It points us to the mercy and grace of a just and holy God in the life of those he has chosen. It inspires us in response, to serve God in the places he has put us. For Wilberforce this was Parliament.

The author's style is easy to follow and left me wanting to know more. Therefore if you are worried about wading through a thicker volume about Wilberforce - John Piper's little book is a very good place to start!