Wednesday 1 September 2010

Just the Two of Us?

There were groans around me as I unpacked this book from the publisher... 'oh no, it's another issues book' my colleagues were thinking!  But I felt able to fully justify my choice - we have only one other book directly on this subject in the shop, I often get them in but don't often feel they are good enough to take up shelf space.  This is one I will be putting on full view in the shop.  'Just the Two of Us?' is subtitled 'help and strength in the struggle to conceive' and is a really useful book for anyone to read, whether directly facing these issues or not.  Firstly, it is British - not only does this help when discussing the medical options available, but it also defines the style of writing (and I won't specify why for fear of causing offence to our friends across the water).  Secondly, it includes men, who let's face it are one half of every couple facing infertility issues.  Thirdly, it continually directs the reader to Scripture and reminds us of where our priorities lie in our Christian walk even when faced with such emotional and life changing (as planned by us) circumstances.  Written by two women who have walked this pathway with differing outcomes, it covers a wide range of issues including secondary infertility, miscarriage and stillbirth.  I found it sensitively written and usefully interspersed with a lot of anecdotal testimonies.  It is a good reminder to us all of how we can be sensitive and supportive to those suffering these particular trials in our Church families.
Lorna
'Just the Two of Us?' by Eleanor Margesson & Sue McGowan is published by IVP, £7.99.

No comments: