Friday 13 May 2011

Reading Together

Do you ever start a book and struggle to finish it?  I certainly do.  This was my motivation for starting a virtual reading club 'Reading Together' nearly a year ago.  We have just come to the end of our second book which was The All-Sufficient God by Lloyd-Jones.  I wouldn't rate it as my favourite book by Lloyd-Jones but this doesn't mean there was nothing to gain by reading it.  Lloyd-Jones is always structured and straightforward to read and there was much to muse over and discuss with other members of the club.  Perhaps not as much detail to discuss as there was in our first book by Thomas Watson.  But then he was a Puritan... I need say no more!
So hopefully then, the group serves to bring together likeminded Christian ladies (sorry, no men allowed) and encourages them to read books they would normally struggle to get through.  I have definitely found it helpful and am looking forward to getting going on the next book, which is...
Commentary on Galatians by Martin Luther.  No, don't groan at the thought of some unwieldy tome... together we can read through this book, enjoy it and profit from discussion about it.  This is my sincere hope and prayer.  Please let me know if you are interested in signing up to the virtual reading club - we would love to have you on board!
Lorna

No comments: